Home | Blog | Mortgage Help | Privacy Policy |
Help For Single Mothers In Kansas — SingleMomFinancial.com


Help For Single Moms In Kansas

Now more than ever single moms in Kansas need help as they work hard to provide for their children without the support of a second income and adult in the family. If you are looking for a little extra help, these resources may have what you need.

Childcare – Sometimes, the only way you can get regular employment is with some help paying for childcare. Kansas has a Child Care Subsidy Program for families who are on the Temporary Assistance for Families, are considered low-income, working families, are pursuing job-related education, or have teen parents who are still in school.

Healthcare – Ensuring that your children can go to the doctor when they need to is a huge concern for a single mom. Kansas has several programs to help with healthcare needs. Publicly sponsored programs include KHIA (Kansas Health Insurance Association) for people with chronic conditions, Medicaid for low income families, Health Wave for moderate income families, and the Women’s Health Care and Family Planning Services for women. For more information visit http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/matrix/KS_Matrix.pdf.

Food and Supplies – When you have limited income and putting food on the table is difficult, the state has a few programs to help. First, contact your local food bank (http://www.kansasfoodbank.org/) to see if you can get affordable food through them. If you qualify for services like Medicaid, you might also qualify for the Kansas Food Assistance Program. WIC is yet another program that offers help purchasing healthy food. It is available to families with children under the age of five and pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.

Transportation – Single moms in Kansas often need assistance getting to and from work. One of the most affordable ways to get around is through a public transit provider. This map, http://www.kutc.ku.edu/cgiwrap/kutc/RTAP_transit.php, shows the public transportation options in each county.

Rent Assistance – The Kansas Housing Resources Corporation has several programs to help those who are struggling to pay their mortgage or rent or otherwise care for their family members within their own home. The state also works with HUD to provide public housing options, including Section 8 housing and other rent assistance programs.

College Grants – Could you better your family’s economic situation by returning to school? Probably you could, but your limited income may make it difficult. To find help paying tuition, file the FAFSA, then visit the Kansas Board of Regents website for more information about grants. Some options include scholarships for minority students, those who are planning to become teachers, and others who are considered low income.

,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-55629503-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');